Hillary to visit Pak on ‘people-to-people trip’: Holbrooke
Washington: Hillary Clinton will shortly be visiting Pakistan to interact with the politicians and civil society in the backdrop of recent internal violence, Obama’s Special Representative for Af-Pak, Richard Holbrooke informed.
Calling US Secretary of State’s visit a ‘people-to-people trip’, Holbrooke said that Clinton’s trip to the troubled nation would be one the most important foreign visits of the top American Diplomat.
“I think this is one of the most important trips she has made since she became Secretary of State and I think the whole world will be watching. This is a people-to-people trip. It’s an expression of the support of President Obama and his administration,” The Dawn quoted Holbrooke, as saying.
Interacting with mediapersons here, Holbrooke said Clinton would be coming to Pakistan as a friend and not to pressurize the nation to accept any restrictions that impinge on its sovereignty.
“She is bringing a message of friendship and support to a country under tremendous pressure. She is going to focus on the real needs of the Pakistani people. And I want to stress that she comes to Pakistan as a friend, not with conditions but with support for the democratically elected government and the people of Pakistan,” Holbrooke said.
“And I think the whole world will be watching,” he added.
Clinton’s visit comes at a time when anti-American sentiments in Pakistan are at an all time high, and the top US diplomat would surely work to allay those negative perceptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees