Hillary to visit Pak on ‘people-to-people trip’: Holbrooke
Washington: Hillary Clinton will shortly be visiting Pakistan to interact with the politicians and civil society in the backdrop of recent internal violence, Obama’s Special Representative for Af-Pak, Richard Holbrooke informed.
Calling US Secretary of State’s visit a ‘people-to-people trip’, Holbrooke said that Clinton’s trip to the troubled nation would be one the most important foreign visits of the top American Diplomat.
“I think this is one of the most important trips she has made since she became Secretary of State and I think the whole world will be watching. This is a people-to-people trip. It’s an expression of the support of President Obama and his administration,” The Dawn quoted Holbrooke, as saying.
Interacting with mediapersons here, Holbrooke said Clinton would be coming to Pakistan as a friend and not to pressurize the nation to accept any restrictions that impinge on its sovereignty.
“She is bringing a message of friendship and support to a country under tremendous pressure. She is going to focus on the real needs of the Pakistani people. And I want to stress that she comes to Pakistan as a friend, not with conditions but with support for the democratically elected government and the people of Pakistan,” Holbrooke said.
“And I think the whole world will be watching,” he added.
Clinton’s visit comes at a time when anti-American sentiments in Pakistan are at an all time high, and the top US diplomat would surely work to allay those negative perceptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!