Hillary to visit Pak on ‘people-to-people trip’: Holbrooke
Washington: Hillary Clinton will shortly be visiting Pakistan to interact with the politicians and civil society in the backdrop of recent internal violence, Obama’s Special Representative for Af-Pak, Richard Holbrooke informed.
Calling US Secretary of State’s visit a ‘people-to-people trip’, Holbrooke said that Clinton’s trip to the troubled nation would be one the most important foreign visits of the top American Diplomat.
“I think this is one of the most important trips she has made since she became Secretary of State and I think the whole world will be watching. This is a people-to-people trip. It’s an expression of the support of President Obama and his administration,” The Dawn quoted Holbrooke, as saying.
Interacting with mediapersons here, Holbrooke said Clinton would be coming to Pakistan as a friend and not to pressurize the nation to accept any restrictions that impinge on its sovereignty.
“She is bringing a message of friendship and support to a country under tremendous pressure. She is going to focus on the real needs of the Pakistani people. And I want to stress that she comes to Pakistan as a friend, not with conditions but with support for the democratically elected government and the people of Pakistan,” Holbrooke said.
“And I think the whole world will be watching,” he added.
Clinton’s visit comes at a time when anti-American sentiments in Pakistan are at an all time high, and the top US diplomat would surely work to allay those negative perceptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed