Hindu Congress appeals for help for Tamil IDPs
Colombo: The All Ceylon Hindu Congress, an organisation involved in serving Tamil IDPs in the war-ravaged north Sri Lanka on Thursday appealed for assistance in its relief and rehabilitation work for thousands of people displaced as a result of three-decade old ethnic conflict.
"We appeal to all our brothers and sisters on this occasion to assist us in the projects of relief and rehabilitation," the association said in a statement.
Our brothers and sisters have been suffering in numerous ways for the last two decades. On this Thaipongal all the Hindus in this country pray that there will be salvation for them as early as possible, it said.
"Thai Pongal is an important day in the calendar of the Hindus. With the dawn of the month of Thai, Hindus hope that a new era will dawn and that it will pave the way for a better future."
The association said it has been helping the displaced people in the Wanni in numerous ways while thanking the Sri Lankan government for arranging to release Hindu priests and elders besides opening the A9 route. It also thanked the government for providing education to over 270 rehabilitated former LTTE cadres at the Colombo Hindu College.
Since February 2009, the Congress is actively involved in serving Internally Displaced People who were displaced from their native places due to recent war in the Wanni Region and now live in numerous temporary camps in Vavuniya, Cheddikulam, Trincomalee, Mannar and Jaffna. "We also helped the undergraduates of the Jaffna University and the Eastern University who came from the IDP camps by making donations for them to establish their lives."
We are thankful to London Kanaga Thurkai Amman Temple and Manitha Neyam Trust for financially assisting us in these projects, the state owned Daily News quoted the association to say in a message on the occasion.
"We also thank President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Senior Presidential Advisor Basil Rajapaksa MP, Ministers Douglas Devananda and Milinda Moragoda for readily responding to our requests in the rehabilitation and relief works," the message said.
The association said as a Federation of Hindu Religious Associations and Trusts in Sri Lanka, it has obtained the assistance of the Government and is providing "whatever relief to the displaced people”.
"We are at the same time conscious that a lot more has to be done for them," it said while appealing for assistance from the people.
“We pray on this Thaipongal Day to god to bless our people with salvation in the immediate future,” the message said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India