Hindu temple attacked in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Idols of Hindu goddesses were destroyed when unidentified persons attacked a temple in southwestern Bangladesh on Saturday, the latest in a string of incidents against the minority community.
The attackers ripped off the heads of idols of goddess Kali and Saraswati and threw them in the courtyard of the temple in Pirojpur district, Bdnews24 reported.
The idols were found smashed and destroyed this morning, a devotee was quoted as saying by the media.
A probe to find those responsible for the attack is already underway, said police official A Khalek.
"The attackers will be found and punished," Mrinal Kanti Dey, chief executive of Nazirpur sub-district, told Bdnews24.
The attack on the temple was the latest in a string of incidents against Hindus, who make up about 8.4 per cent of Bangladesh`s population of 150 million.
Suspected opposition activists attacked Hindus in several districts during and after the January 5 election, accusing them of backing the Awami League which swept the polls following a boycott by the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’