Hindu temple set on fire in Pakistan over alleged blasphemy
Karachi: A Hindu temple and a dharmashala have been set on fire by a frenzied mob in Pakistan`s southern Sindh province over alleged desecration of a holy book, marring Holi celebrations and prompting authorities to impose a curfew in the area.
The mob attacked the temple overnight in Larkana city, the hometown of the Bhutto family and the stronghold of the Pakistan People`s Party.
It surrounded the house of a Hindu man accused of burning the pages of the holy book, prompting police to fire warning shots and teargas shells.
A local police official said that soon after the news of the man desecrating the book spread, angry students and followers of local religious seminaries started gathering in groups and demanded the man be handed over to them.
"They set on fire the main Hindu temple in the Jinnah Bagh Chowk area which also completely gutted the adjoining dharmashala," the official said.
"Curfew has now been imposed in the area with heavy patrolling by the paramilitary rangers and police who had to baton charge and use teargas shells to disperse the mob," he said.
The Hindu man, who was accused of blasphemy, has been taken into protective custody. According to local media reports, initial investigation indicates that the man had?rented the house from a Muslim family and cleaned it before he moved in.
"He may have burned the holy book inadvertently," a policeman said. Tensions gripped the Larkana`s Jinnah Bagh and some other parts of the city after mob went berserk.
People from the area said Holi celebrations have been called off in various localities due to the security situation.
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah directed DIG Larkana to bring the situation under control and probe the incident.
Traffic remained sparse in the affected areas as a complete shut down was observed and businesses, shops, filling stations and markets were closed.
Additional contingents of police and rangers were deployed in the affected areas to avoid any untoward incident.
A ban on pillion riding was also imposed in the city under Section 144. "We are taking strict action. We have already booked people for vandalism and arrests are being carried out. No blasphemy case has been registered," a senior aide of PPP leader Bilawal Bhutto Zardari told PTI.
Bhutto took to social media network Twitter to express his anger. "Deliberate attempts to disturb religious harmony will not succeed. Maintaining peace in this volatile situation is the number one priority," he tweeted.
"I consider attack on temple akin to attack on GKB (Garhi Khuda Bakhsh). Perpetrators will b(e) brought 2 justice as will people who spread lies and incited violence," he added.
Garhi Khuda Bakhsh is a village in Sindh province. It is the burial place of Zulfiqar, Murtaza and Benazir Bhutto. The PPP is the ruling party in Sindh province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015