Historic Hindu temple vandalised in Pakistan
Islamabad: Unidentified men on Sunday vandalised a historic Hindu temple in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan that was reopened on the orders of a court last year, police officials and local residents said.
The attackers burnt pictures and damaged a shivling inside Gorakhnath Temple and took away idols from the shrine located within an archaeological complex in Gor Gathri area, leaders of the Hindu community said.
The shrine’s custodian told the media that this was the third attack on the temple in the past two months.
Police officers visited the temple to probe the incident.
Hindu leaders urged police to put in place better security measures to prevent such incidents.
The temple`s custodian told police that he had seen a group of eight men inside the temple when he arrived there at 6.30 pm.
The men started burning pictures and holy books before fleeing with some idols, he said.
Members of the minority Hindu community rushed to the temple.
Footage on television showed burnt papers and utensils lying strewn on the floor of the temple.
The 160-year-old temple was reopened for Hindus last year on the orders of the Peshawar High Court.
It has been closed since Partition.
The temple was reopened after Phool Wati, the daughter of the shrine`s cleric, petitioned the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!