Hopes, fears and the diary of Malala Yousufzai
Islamabad: "I was afraid of going to school because the Taliban had issued an edict banning all girls from attending schools," wrote Malala Yousufzai in her diary in 2009. The Pakistani teenager on Thursday recuperates in a hospital after being shot at by the Taliban.
Malala wrote the diary for the BBC in Urdu under her pen name Gul Makai.
The diary offers a peep into the mind of a young girl who pines for education and seeks peace in her troubled land.
On January 3, 2009, she wrote: "I had a terrible dream yesterday with military helicopters and the Taliban. I have had such dreams since the launch of the military operation in Swat. I was afraid of going to school because the Taliban had issued an edict banning all girls from attending schools. Only 11 students attended the class out of 27. The number decreased because of Taliban`s edict."
"On my way from school to home I heard a man saying `I will kill you`. I hastened my pace... to my utter relief he was talking on his mobile and must have been threatening someone else over the phone."
Two days later, she wrote: "I was getting ready for school and was about to wear my uniform when I remembered that our principal had told us not to wear uniforms and come to school wearing normal clothes instead."
"So I decided to wear my favourite pink dress. Other girls in school were also wearing colourful dresses. During the morning assembly we were told not to wear colourful clothes as the Taliban would object to it."
The diary turns progressively more grim as the days pass and the Taliban stranglehold tightens.
On January 14, 2009, wrote Malala: "I was in a bad mood while going to school because winter vacations are starting from tomorrow. The principal announced the vacations but did not mention the date the school would reopen."
"The girls were not too excited about vacations because they knew if the Taliban implemented their edict [banning girls` education] they would not be able to come to school again. I am of the view that the school will one day reopen but while leaving I looked at the building as if I would not come here again."
A day later, she had an interrupted sleep as "the night was filled with the noise of artillery fire and I woke up three times".
"But since there was no school I got up later at 10 am. Afterwards, my friend came over and we discussed our homework. Today is the last day before the Taliban`s edict comes into effect, and my friend was discussing homework as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow