Hotel bomb kills at least nine, wounds 14 in Pak
Peshawar: A bomb exploded inside a northwestern Pakistani hotel on Thursday, killing at least nine people and wounding more than 14, police said.
"The bomb exploded inside the hotel. At least nine people have been killed and more than 14 were wounded," Mohammad Hussain, a senior police officer in Nowshera town, where the blast took place, told a news agency.
The bomb exploded in the evening as dozens of people were gathered after breaking the day`s fast. Like the rest of the Muslim world, Pakistan is observing the holy month of Ramadan, when the faithful fast from dawn to dusk.
Police said the bomb was planted in a bicycle parked in the front courtyard of the hotel.
"The hotel was destroyed, along with an adjacent hotel. Six nearby shops were badly damaged," Hussain said.
Nowshera is some 50 kilometres northeast of Peshawar, the capital of the troubled northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
An intelligence official in Peshawar confirmed the incident.
Last week 51 people were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a crowded mosque in northwestern Khyber tribal district, the country`s deadliest attack for three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what