`Human life of little value in Pakistani society`
Islamabad: Human life is of little value in the Pakistani society, a daily lamented on Wednesday after a man trying to escape a fire jumped to his death and the event was shown live on television.
An editorial in Dawn said that the death of Owais Baig is a unique kind of tragedy.
"The young man, attempting to escape a fire in a high-rise building in Karachi, jumped to his death with the grim event shown live on television. A large crowd of spectators as well as rescue personnel were present as the youth fell from the building.”
"Yet many important questions regarding the unfortunate incident remain," it said.
The daily added: "Unfortunately, human life is of little value in this society. So whether it is one man jumping to his death from a burning building, or over 250 people perishing inside a blazing factory, as was the case with September`s Baldia inferno, we soon move on without learning lessons from such incidents."
It observed that the case of Owais Baig is in the limelight because it unfolded live on TV; "yet similar tragedies happen almost daily in Pakistan".
The daily said that the problem is one of mindset.
"There is no public awareness of how to react during emergencies. On our roads we don`t give way to ambulances or fire tenders, while mobs congregate at sites of traffic accidents or other disasters, turning tragedy into a spectacle and obstructing rescue work," it said.
The editorial hoped that society learns from these incidents and changes for the better.
"But for that to happen major efforts are required, and it will be a lengthy process. The state should start with devising effective emergency response mechanisms as well as by launching public awareness campaigns about these. These should educate citizens in how to act during emergencies, to make way for ambulances in disaster sites and to call rescue services. Continued complacency will only cause tragic events to repeat themselves."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say