Hume tipped as next US ambassador to Pakistan
Islamabad: The US is to appoint career diplomat Cameron R Hume as its new ambassador to Pakistan to replace Anne Patterson, the incumbent envoy whose term ends in May this year.
Patterson completes her three-year tenure in May.
"She deserves a less demanding job after three excruciating years in Pakistan," a diplomatic source told a newspaper while confirming that the Obama administration had selected Hume to replace Ambassador Patterson.
In the US system, however, the administration nominates an ambassador but the candidate has to win approval from both chambers of Congress -- in open public hearings -- before the appointment is confirmed.
Hume is currently the US envoy to Indonesia where he presented his credentials on August 1, 2007.
He is a member of the Foreign Service with the rank of a career minister, which is equivalent to a three-star general in the military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead