Hume tipped as next US ambassador to Pakistan
Islamabad: The US is to appoint career diplomat Cameron R Hume as its new ambassador to Pakistan to replace Anne Patterson, the incumbent envoy whose term ends in May this year.
Patterson completes her three-year tenure in May.
"She deserves a less demanding job after three excruciating years in Pakistan," a diplomatic source told a newspaper while confirming that the Obama administration had selected Hume to replace Ambassador Patterson.
In the US system, however, the administration nominates an ambassador but the candidate has to win approval from both chambers of Congress -- in open public hearings -- before the appointment is confirmed.
Hume is currently the US envoy to Indonesia where he presented his credentials on August 1, 2007.
He is a member of the Foreign Service with the rank of a career minister, which is equivalent to a three-star general in the military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray