Hunt on for militants plotting to attack Indian mission in Dhaka
Dhaka: After the arrest of three Laskhar-e-Taiba men, the police are hunting for the militants involved in a plot to attack the Indian High Commission and US Embassy here.
Detective Branch (DB) Assistant Commissioner Sanwar Hossain told The Daily Star: "We are trying our best to arrest the militants involved in the plot to attack the foreign missions."
DB officials said they received the information about the plan from detained Bangladeshi LeT leader Mufti Harun Izahar, and Izahar`s associates - Shahidul Islam and Al Amin alias Saiful.
Izahar is the son of Islami Oikya Jote leader Mufti Izaharul Islam, chief of a faction of a party that is the constituent of the opposition alliance led by former prime minister Khaleda Zia.
He has denied his own involvement as well as that of his son in the plot.
During interrogation, the arrested men divulged that three Pakistani nationals, aged around 30, came to Bangladesh two months back to execute the plan with the help of Harkat ul Jihad al Islami (HuJI) members.
HuJI is one of the banned Islamist militant outfits that have continued to regroup and work.
The LeT men also had plans to attack embassy officials or explode bombs in front of the diplomatic missions, said DB officials.
Earlier reports have said that the LeT, with its headquarters in Pakistan, sent three men to carry out reconnaissance of the US embassy and that of the high commissions of India and Britain.
The police have records of their cellphone conversations, when instructions were given to them in Arabic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday