I respect Army; haven’t fled from Pak: Haqqani’s wife
Islamabad: Farahnaz Ispahani, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari`s media adviser and wife of former envoy to US Husain Haqqani, on Monday rejected a media report that she has fled the country.
Ispahani shot down the report attributed to her that said she had fled to Washington fearing abduction by the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
She added that she respected the ISI and the Army, Geo News reported.
"I came here (Washington) to meet my children and going home soon," she was quoted as saying.
Christina Lamb had written in the Sunday Times that the memogate scandal involving Haqqani was "trumped up".
The article said that Haqqani`s life was in danger and Ispahani has fled to Washington over fears that "ISI might kidnap her to force her husband to sign a confession and implicate the President".
"What we`re seeing is the systematic killing or silencing of anyone who stands up to the institutionalisation of a militarised Islamist state, who advocates positive relations with the West or stands up for tolerance," Ispahani was quoted as telling The Sunday Times.
"I`m scared, even the government can`t protect itself," she added.
Pakistan witnessed considerable tension after it emerged that a secret memo was sent to Washington that said Zardari feared a military take-over following the killing of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden by US Marines in his hideout in Abbottbad near Islamabad on May 02 last year. The memo was forwarded by Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
Husain Haqqani stepped down as the envoy to US and former minister Sherry Rehman was appointed in his place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof