Ijaz rejects reports against him as `slanderous`
Washington: Accused of financial defaults,
controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz has dismissed media reports as "completely slanderous" to discredit him ahead of his video deposition before a Pakistani judicial panel on the memo scandal.
According to the court documents and publicly available
information based on which a series of articles have been
published in the Pakistani media, Ijaz has defaulted on
several payments and in one of the cases enforcement action is
expected to begin shortly.
Prominent among them include a default of USD 1.4 million
against Banca Sammarinese di Investmento (BSI).
"It is a completely slanderous article written in a
newspaper that has done nothing but slander me from the very
beginning of this process," Ijaz told reporters when asked about
financial irregularities and default allegations against him
published in the last few days in the Pakistani media.
In addition to BSI, Citibank also has a judgment against
him for USD 16,021 and in 2007 Aurora Loan Services filed a
motion in the New York Supreme court for an unidentified
According to the publicly available documents, Ijaz has a
total of eight lien records against him. He only owns an
apartment in New York.
In 2002, the Bank of New York had moved the New York
Supreme Court to recover a paltry sum of USD 58,698 and a
judgment was issued but no release was filed.
Ijaz was also sued by American Express Travel Services
for USD 166,880. Ijaz paid off his debt after New York Supreme
Court decided in the favor of the creditor.
"I will not comment further for the record. Mainly,
because it is not relevant to the case and does not affect my
credibility one iota. I have rather welcomed the fact that
most people see me as having nothing. It allows me to continue
with my affairs without having to worry anyone knows anything
about where I have what I have and how I have it," Ijaz said.
Ijaz created a storm in political and diplomatic circles
last year after he made public an alleged memo that sought US
help to stave off a feared coup in Pakistan in the wake of
killing of Osama bin Laden in May last year.
Ijaz will appear in the Pakistan High Commission in
London tomorrow for recording his testimony through a video
link with the Supreme Court-appointed commission, probing the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah