Illegal immigrant leaves Pakistan mission in soup
London: An illegal immigrant has turned an embarrassment for the Pakistan high commission in Britain after running away from his flat before British officials could reach him.
The man was allowed to stay in the country on Pakistan High Commissioner Wajid Shamsul Hasan`s request.
Tanveer Awan left his flat ahead of UK Border Agency`s morning raid. His disappearance is an embarrassment to the Pakistan high commissioner, who permitted him to stay despite his illegal status, The Sun reported Sunday.
The Pakistan high commissioner`s friend Shafqat Hussain admitted receiving a cash payment from Awan to process his renewal application. Both men have urged Awan to hand himself in to the British authorities.
Awan was living in a town in Surrey after being issued with a fake passport by former senior Pakistani officials in London. He later applied for another after losing it.
Awan`s application was backed by Pakistan high commissioner`s friend Hussain, who had brought it to the attention of Hasan who then personally wrote on the illegal immigrant`s renewal application: "Pls. issue one year passport urgently".
High Commissioner Hasan has admitted that a mistake was made by approving the illegal immigrant`s passport without stringent checks.
Hasan said he signed the passport renewal form not knowing Awan was an illegal immigrant, and denies any wrongdoing.
Hasan said: "It is mandatory for me to issue a passport to any Pakistani national whether legal or illegal as that passport gives him an opportunity to go to Pakistan."
British authorities are now searching for Awan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!