`Ilyas Kashmiri was killed in Pakistan last month`
Washington: A US news channel has confirmed that Mohammad Ilyas Kashmiri, commander-in-chief of Harakat-ul Jihad-i-Islami (HuJI), was killed in a US drone strike in Pakistan last month.
“CBS News has learned that a US drone strike in Pakistan in June killed senior al Qaeda commander Ilyas Kashmiri,” its website said in a news report.
Kashmiri was believed to be a key planner of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks and, according to sources, was also involved in planning terror strikes in Europe last fall, which led to alerts across the continent.
Most recently, Kashmiri was al Qaeda`s military operations chief in Pakistan, and was suspected of plotting attacks against US troops in Afghanistan.
The United States had offered a USD 5 million reward for information leading to Kashmiri.
Although US officials have not confirmed the attack, but the news has already been reported widely in Pakistan, with many Pakistanis welcoming the news, including lawyer, Fareed Abbasi.
"The killing of Ilyas Kashmiri is good for the country and the nation. He was a terrorist who caused damage to our country, our defence institutions, our nation and the humanity," Addasi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day