Important that prisoners released responsibly: US on Baradar
Washington: Ahead of the release of former Afghan Taliban deputy chief Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar from Pakistan, the United States has said that it is important that coordination between Islamabad and Kabul takes place to ensure that any such releases are done in a responsible manner.
"The release of Taliban prisoners, including Baradar, has been a matter of ongoing discussion between Pakistan and Afghanistan in order to promote peace as part of this reconciliation process," said State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf on Friday.
Pakistan yesterday announced it will release Baradar today, meeting a long-standing demand of Afghan President Hamid Karzai to advance peace efforts in the war-ravaged country.
"Obviously, it`s important that coordination between Pakistan and Afghanistan takes place to ensure that any releases are done in a responsible manner," Harf said.
Baradar has been in the custody of Pakistani security agencies since his capture in Karachi in 2010. He will be the highest ranking Afghan Taliban prisoner freed so far.
His release was personally sought by Karzai during a recent visit to Islamabad. Analysts are sceptical whether Baradar will be able to influence the peace process, but the Afghan government thinks he could lead talks with the High Peace Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened