Important that prisoners released responsibly: US on Baradar
Washington: Ahead of the release of former Afghan Taliban deputy chief Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar from Pakistan, the United States has said that it is important that coordination between Islamabad and Kabul takes place to ensure that any such releases are done in a responsible manner.
"The release of Taliban prisoners, including Baradar, has been a matter of ongoing discussion between Pakistan and Afghanistan in order to promote peace as part of this reconciliation process," said State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf on Friday.
Pakistan yesterday announced it will release Baradar today, meeting a long-standing demand of Afghan President Hamid Karzai to advance peace efforts in the war-ravaged country.
"Obviously, it`s important that coordination between Pakistan and Afghanistan takes place to ensure that any releases are done in a responsible manner," Harf said.
Baradar has been in the custody of Pakistani security agencies since his capture in Karachi in 2010. He will be the highest ranking Afghan Taliban prisoner freed so far.
His release was personally sought by Karzai during a recent visit to Islamabad. Analysts are sceptical whether Baradar will be able to influence the peace process, but the Afghan government thinks he could lead talks with the High Peace Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues