Imran demands audit of armed forces budget allocation
Islamabad: Opposition politician Imran Khan on Sunday called for the audit of the budgetary allocations for Pakistan`s armed forces to ensure the effective use of the country`s resources.
The former cricketer, who heads the Pakistan Tehrik-e- Insaf party, further said the discretionary funds of the President, Prime Minister and Chief Ministers too should be audited.
Addressing a news conference on the budget for fiscal 2012-13, he criticised the government for allocating large amounts to the armed forces.
The budget for 2012-13 amounted to a "fraud" with people grappling with a steep rise in prices and inflation, he said.
Pakistan has increased the allocation for defence in its budget for fiscal 2012-13 to Rs 545 billion (about USD 5.82 billion), marking an increase of 10 per cent over the outlay of Rs 495 billion for the current fiscal.
Khan called for measures to ensure greater accountability in the use of government funds.
"It is important to make the National Accountability Bureau a sovereign institution to end corruption, which has reached an all-time high," he said.
Corruption in state-run enterprises amounted to billions of rupees and this problem had affected the Pakistan Steel Mills, Pakistan International Airlines and Pakistan Railways, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das