Imran Khan opposes cut in Pak defence budget
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan has opposed cuts in Pakistan`s defence budget saying the country is in a vulnerable state and is fighting on both its borders.
"If at this stage we cut the defence budget we would leave the country in more vulnerable condition as we are fighting on our two borders, the war on terror and conflicts with India," the cricketer-turned-politician told Radio Pakistan in an interview.
"If we succeed in resolving the conflicts through dialogue then we will be able to cut our defence budget," Khan said.
"We also want to change relations with India so that militancy and militarism are abolished and we will resolve issues through negotiations. We will keep the Kashmir issue as our priority but we will? at the same time? decide that it will be resolved through dialogue. We want to end tensions and come close so as to benefit from trade," Khan said.
When asked about impression that he is a supporter of the Taliban, Khan said he has never supported the Taliban.
"I was opposing war on terror. I was opposing Pakistan`s participation in American war on terror," he said.
He said when he insisted that there is no military solution to the conflict in the tribal regions? he was branded pro-Taliban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed