Imran Khan opposes cut in Pak defence budget
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan has opposed cuts in Pakistan`s defence budget saying the country is in a vulnerable state and is fighting on both its borders.
"If at this stage we cut the defence budget we would leave the country in more vulnerable condition as we are fighting on our two borders, the war on terror and conflicts with India," the cricketer-turned-politician told Radio Pakistan in an interview.
"If we succeed in resolving the conflicts through dialogue then we will be able to cut our defence budget," Khan said.
"We also want to change relations with India so that militancy and militarism are abolished and we will resolve issues through negotiations. We will keep the Kashmir issue as our priority but we will? at the same time? decide that it will be resolved through dialogue. We want to end tensions and come close so as to benefit from trade," Khan said.
When asked about impression that he is a supporter of the Taliban, Khan said he has never supported the Taliban.
"I was opposing war on terror. I was opposing Pakistan`s participation in American war on terror," he said.
He said when he insisted that there is no military solution to the conflict in the tribal regions? he was branded pro-Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'