Imran Khan opposes cut in Pak defence budget
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan has opposed cuts in Pakistan`s defence budget saying the country is in a vulnerable state and is fighting on both its borders.
"If at this stage we cut the defence budget we would leave the country in more vulnerable condition as we are fighting on our two borders, the war on terror and conflicts with India," the cricketer-turned-politician told Radio Pakistan in an interview.
"If we succeed in resolving the conflicts through dialogue then we will be able to cut our defence budget," Khan said.
"We also want to change relations with India so that militancy and militarism are abolished and we will resolve issues through negotiations. We will keep the Kashmir issue as our priority but we will? at the same time? decide that it will be resolved through dialogue. We want to end tensions and come close so as to benefit from trade," Khan said.
When asked about impression that he is a supporter of the Taliban, Khan said he has never supported the Taliban.
"I was opposing war on terror. I was opposing Pakistan`s participation in American war on terror," he said.
He said when he insisted that there is no military solution to the conflict in the tribal regions? he was branded pro-Taliban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory