Imran Khan opposes cut in Pak defence budget
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chairman Imran Khan has opposed cuts in Pakistan`s defence budget saying the country is in a vulnerable state and is fighting on both its borders.
"If at this stage we cut the defence budget we would leave the country in more vulnerable condition as we are fighting on our two borders, the war on terror and conflicts with India," the cricketer-turned-politician told Radio Pakistan in an interview.
"If we succeed in resolving the conflicts through dialogue then we will be able to cut our defence budget," Khan said.
"We also want to change relations with India so that militancy and militarism are abolished and we will resolve issues through negotiations. We will keep the Kashmir issue as our priority but we will? at the same time? decide that it will be resolved through dialogue. We want to end tensions and come close so as to benefit from trade," Khan said.
When asked about impression that he is a supporter of the Taliban, Khan said he has never supported the Taliban.
"I was opposing war on terror. I was opposing Pakistan`s participation in American war on terror," he said.
He said when he insisted that there is no military solution to the conflict in the tribal regions? he was branded pro-Taliban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents