Imran Khan opposes military action in NW Pakistan
Islamabad: Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan on Saturday warned against any military operation in Pakistan`s North Waziristan region, saying it would exacerbate the problem of terrorism and militancy.
The government must inform the nation if it intends to start a military operation in North Waziristan Agency, he said.
He repeated his condemnation of a suicide attack on a military check post in North Waziristan on Wednesday, said a statement released by his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party.
Khan`s remarks came amid reports that over 50 people, including militants, had died after the Pakistan Army launched an operation to retaliate against the suicide attack.
He said local residents and parliamentarians from the area were claiming that those killed in the operation are primarily civilians.
An incremental increase in military action will lead to a large-scale operation with revenge attacks and ensuing increase in chaos and terrorism, he claimed.
"Military operations in one`s own country do not resolve problems. Instead they exacerbate them and the same will happen if a military operation is launched in North Waziristan Agency," he said.
However, Khan said if the military intended to respond with an attack, it should have cleared the area of women and children before Mir Ali town was bombed with helicopter gunships and artillery.
"We cannot regard our women and children...With the callousness and unconcern that is presently being displayed towards them by the state...," he said. ? Khan said the government must bear responsibility for any military operation and inform all political parties that it has abandoned a mandate for dialogue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?