Imran Khan received Rs 40 mn from Musharraf: PPP leader
Lahore: A leader of the ruling Pakistan People`s Party has alleged that cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan received Rs 40 million from former military ruler Pervez Musharraf during the 2002 referendum that validated the general`s regime.
"Khan charged Rs 40 million from Gen Musharraf as he was at the forefront of moves to establish the dictator`s rule," said Raja Riaz, a top PPP leader and senior minister in the coalition government in Pakistan`s Punjab province.
Riaz said Khan, who heads the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaaf party, had got his relatives employed in the Pakistan Cricket Board during Musharraf`s regime.
"Musharraf obliged Khan for his support," he said. Khan always talks about democracy but was in fact conspiring against it, Riaz alleged. Khan`s party denied Riaz`s allegations and said it would take him to court over the issue.
In recent weeks, Khan has been very critical of PPP chief and President Asif Ali Zardari and the PPP-led government at the centre.
He has also said the Pakistan Army should be called in to help implement the Supreme Court`s order scrapping the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a graft amnesty that benefited Zardari and over 8,000 others.
Khan has also been advocating the need for mid-term polls as he believes they are the only solution for steering Pakistan out of several crises. However, his party had boycotted the general election in February 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe