Imran Khan received Rs 40 mn from Musharraf: PPP leader
Lahore: A leader of the ruling Pakistan People`s Party has alleged that cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan received Rs 40 million from former military ruler Pervez Musharraf during the 2002 referendum that validated the general`s regime.
"Khan charged Rs 40 million from Gen Musharraf as he was at the forefront of moves to establish the dictator`s rule," said Raja Riaz, a top PPP leader and senior minister in the coalition government in Pakistan`s Punjab province.
Riaz said Khan, who heads the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaaf party, had got his relatives employed in the Pakistan Cricket Board during Musharraf`s regime.
"Musharraf obliged Khan for his support," he said. Khan always talks about democracy but was in fact conspiring against it, Riaz alleged. Khan`s party denied Riaz`s allegations and said it would take him to court over the issue.
In recent weeks, Khan has been very critical of PPP chief and President Asif Ali Zardari and the PPP-led government at the centre.
He has also said the Pakistan Army should be called in to help implement the Supreme Court`s order scrapping the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a graft amnesty that benefited Zardari and over 8,000 others.
Khan has also been advocating the need for mid-term polls as he believes they are the only solution for steering Pakistan out of several crises. However, his party had boycotted the general election in February 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey