Imran Khan sends notice to JUI chief over `Jewish Agent` remark
Islamabad: Pakistani cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan has sent a legal notice to Jamiat Ulema e Islam chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman, claiming damages of Rs 500 million for allegedly defaming him.
The notice, sent yesterday, said Rehman accused Khan of being a Jewish agent in a TV interview on August 3. He also alleged that Khan has a foreign agenda backed by the Jewish lobby, the media reported today.
Rehman allegedly tried to gain undue political advantage over Khan and his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party, so he was liable to be proceeded against for defamation under civil and criminal laws, according to the notice.
Khan asked Rehman to apologise unconditionally or to take back his statement within a week of receipt of the notice or face a lawsuit for defamation.
The notice said the apology should be telecast on national and international television and conspicuously printed in major newspapers. It said if Rehman failed to apologise, Khan would claim damages worth Rs 500 million.
Khan had said on August 5 that he would move court against Rehman.
Rehman`s spokesman said his party would respond to the notice after receiving it. He said Rehman would never apologise and the party was ready to prove that Khan had links with the Jewish lobby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof