Imran Khan sends notice to JUI chief over `Jewish Agent` remark
Islamabad: Pakistani cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan has sent a legal notice to Jamiat Ulema e Islam chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman, claiming damages of Rs 500 million for allegedly defaming him.
The notice, sent yesterday, said Rehman accused Khan of being a Jewish agent in a TV interview on August 3. He also alleged that Khan has a foreign agenda backed by the Jewish lobby, the media reported today.
Rehman allegedly tried to gain undue political advantage over Khan and his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party, so he was liable to be proceeded against for defamation under civil and criminal laws, according to the notice.
Khan asked Rehman to apologise unconditionally or to take back his statement within a week of receipt of the notice or face a lawsuit for defamation.
The notice said the apology should be telecast on national and international television and conspicuously printed in major newspapers. It said if Rehman failed to apologise, Khan would claim damages worth Rs 500 million.
Khan had said on August 5 that he would move court against Rehman.
Rehman`s spokesman said his party would respond to the notice after receiving it. He said Rehman would never apologise and the party was ready to prove that Khan had links with the Jewish lobby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble