Imran Khan to march towards Islamabad`s Red Zone
Islamabad: Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf`s (PTI) chief Imran Khan has said that he will lead his protest march Tuesday into Islamabad`s Red Zone which houses the supreme court, parliament house, prime ministerial and presidential offices, to demand Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s resignation.
"The world will witness the power of the Pakistani nation tomorrow (Tuesday)," Dawn online quoted Khan as saying at a protest rally Monday night.
He said the march would take place at any cost and would cross all security barriers - even if it cost lives.
Khan added that the government would be responsible for any bloodshed.
He has also pleaded to the Islamabad police not to engage in violence while he and his supporters march on to the Red Zone.
The anti-government march led by Khan was started Thursday from the eastern city of Lahore and the marchers arrived in Islamabad in nearly 36 hours.
Khan has demanded Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s resignation and for new elections to be held as last year`s polls were rigged.
A religious anti-government leader, Tahir-ul-Qadri, who heads the Pakistan Awami Tehrik (PAT) or Peoples Movement, has also held protest rallies in Islamabad against Sharif.
On Sunday, Khan appealed to the people to stop paying utility bills and taxes to the current government, accusing Sharif of plundering the national wealth to enrich his business empire.
Khan has also warned The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank not to grant loans to the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) led government.
Addressing the sit-in participants, Khan also invited overseas Pakistanis to join the civil disobedience movement and suspend remittances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note