Imran Khan walks pain-free first time after fall from stage
Lahore: Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan is recovering speedily after fracturing his spine in a freak accident at an election campaign meeting and is expected to leave hospital tomorrow, party officials said today.
Doctors at Shaukat Khanam Hospital here said the cricketer-turned-politician was fitted with a specially designed brace or spinal support this morning and he walked unaided for over 300 metres.
The brace allowed Khan to stand upright and unsupported for the first time since his accident two weeks ago.
He was pain-free while walking with the aid of the brace, the doctors said.
The hospital`s administration said Khan is expected to be discharged tomorrow afternoon though he would continue to receive regular physiotherapy.
Khan would have to wear the brace for four to six weeks, doctors said.
The 60-year-old was ordered by doctors to remain immobile after he fractured several vertebrae and a rib when he fall from a fork lift that was raising him to a stage at an election rally days before the May 11 polls.
The general election was won by the PML-N led by former premier Nawaz Sharif while Khan?s party finished in third place in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
The Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf is also set to form government in the militancy-hit Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
President Asif Ali Zardari telephoned Khan this afternoon and inquired about his health.
Zardari also prayed for Khan`s early recovery, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
The President felicitated Khan for the confidence reposed in him by voters, particularly in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Babar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?