Imran Khan`s nephew in UK homophobia row
London: The nephew of Pakistani cricketer- turned-politician Imran Khan has been caught up in a row over a homophobic tweet about his uncle`s political opponent Bilawal Bhutto.
Hassan Niazi, who is studying for a Master`s in international human rights law at City University London, was contesting for the position of student union president at the institution when the tweet was picked up by student journalists.
In response to a tweet about Bhutto hosting a cultural festival, Niazi, who has worked in Khan`s Tehreek-e-Insaf party in Pakistan, wrote: "hahaha wet dream. I doubt he is even capable of it. Waise he is worse than a faggot babychicken".
Zoe Burdo, secretary of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) Society at the university, said, "He used inappropriate language. ..Then when he was called out on it he defended it instead of apologising."
Niazi subsequently lost his campaign to be president of City University`s student union by two votes to Rima Amin, who will become the first female president at City University for 11 years, the `Guardian` reported.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'