Imran Khan`s nephew in UK homophobia row
London: The nephew of Pakistani cricketer- turned-politician Imran Khan has been caught up in a row over a homophobic tweet about his uncle`s political opponent Bilawal Bhutto.
Hassan Niazi, who is studying for a Master`s in international human rights law at City University London, was contesting for the position of student union president at the institution when the tweet was picked up by student journalists.
In response to a tweet about Bhutto hosting a cultural festival, Niazi, who has worked in Khan`s Tehreek-e-Insaf party in Pakistan, wrote: "hahaha wet dream. I doubt he is even capable of it. Waise he is worse than a faggot babychicken".
Zoe Burdo, secretary of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) Society at the university, said, "He used inappropriate language. ..Then when he was called out on it he defended it instead of apologising."
Niazi subsequently lost his campaign to be president of City University`s student union by two votes to Rima Amin, who will become the first female president at City University for 11 years, the `Guardian` reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?