Imran Khan`s party blocks key highway to Afghanistan
Peshawar: Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan`s party on Saturday blocked a key highway and a border crossing connecting the country`s northwest to Afghanistan as part of a protest against US drone strikes.
The Ring Road, the main supply route for NATO container trucks, and the Torkham crossing on the Afghan border were blocked due to the rally by the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf.
Containers were placed on the Ring Road to obstruct supply trucks as Khan`s supporters gathered for the rally in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakthunkhwa province that is ruled by the Tehrik-e-Insaf.
Besides Khan, Jamaat-e-Islami chief Munawar Hasan and other leaders would attend the rally.
The provincial cabinet yesterday strongly condemned a drone strike in Hangu district on Thursday that killed six persons and decided to hold demonstrations and rallies in front of UN offices, the US Consulate in Peshawar and the parliament in Islamabad.
Addressing a news conference, provincial Information Minister Shah Farman said the cabinet had formed a three-member committee to contact leaders of political parties to participate in the protests.
The Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa government considers US drone strikes as attacks on Pakistan`s sovereignty and wants the federal government to take concrete action on the issue.
It urged the federal government to call an All-Parties Conference to forge consensus on stopping the US drone strikes.
Thursday`s drone strike, a rare attack outside Pakistan`s tribal areas by CIA-operated spy planes, killed at least three commanders of the dreaded Haqqani terror network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what