IMU claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Quetta
Islamabad: The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack in the Pakistani city of Quetta that targeted the provincial police chief and killed eight persons.
The IMU took credit for the attack in a statement released on a jihadist forum yesterday by Yahya Hikmatiy, the group`s spokesman.
Hikmatiy confirmed the target of the attack was Balochistan Police chief Mushtaq Ahmed Sukhera, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Several policemen were among those killed in Sunday`s suicide attack.
Nearly 70 people were injured in the attack, which occurred in a high-security zone of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan.
Sukhera had a narrow escape.
The IMU claimed two tonnes of explosives were used in the attack.
It said the attack was carried out in retaliation for a "helicopter attack of Pakistan Army against IMU`s madrasa for young children?25 days ago".
One IMU student, a 12-year-old boy, was killed and 10 people were wounded in the incident, it claimed.
The IMU further said the attack in Quetta was carried out by Ali, a 52-year-old member of the group.
It claimed that Ali`s daughter Ummu Usman had also carried out a suicide attack in Pakistan last year.
The IMU, which has links with al-Qaeda, is based in North Waziristan tribal region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day