IMU claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Quetta
Islamabad: The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack in the Pakistani city of Quetta that targeted the provincial police chief and killed eight persons.
The IMU took credit for the attack in a statement released on a jihadist forum yesterday by Yahya Hikmatiy, the group`s spokesman.
Hikmatiy confirmed the target of the attack was Balochistan Police chief Mushtaq Ahmed Sukhera, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Several policemen were among those killed in Sunday`s suicide attack.
Nearly 70 people were injured in the attack, which occurred in a high-security zone of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan.
Sukhera had a narrow escape.
The IMU claimed two tonnes of explosives were used in the attack.
It said the attack was carried out in retaliation for a "helicopter attack of Pakistan Army against IMU`s madrasa for young children?25 days ago".
One IMU student, a 12-year-old boy, was killed and 10 people were wounded in the incident, it claimed.
The IMU further said the attack in Quetta was carried out by Ali, a 52-year-old member of the group.
It claimed that Ali`s daughter Ummu Usman had also carried out a suicide attack in Pakistan last year.
The IMU, which has links with al-Qaeda, is based in North Waziristan tribal region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail