IMU claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Quetta
Islamabad: The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack in the Pakistani city of Quetta that targeted the provincial police chief and killed eight persons.
The IMU took credit for the attack in a statement released on a jihadist forum yesterday by Yahya Hikmatiy, the group`s spokesman.
Hikmatiy confirmed the target of the attack was Balochistan Police chief Mushtaq Ahmed Sukhera, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Several policemen were among those killed in Sunday`s suicide attack.
Nearly 70 people were injured in the attack, which occurred in a high-security zone of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan.
Sukhera had a narrow escape.
The IMU claimed two tonnes of explosives were used in the attack.
It said the attack was carried out in retaliation for a "helicopter attack of Pakistan Army against IMU`s madrasa for young children?25 days ago".
One IMU student, a 12-year-old boy, was killed and 10 people were wounded in the incident, it claimed.
The IMU further said the attack in Quetta was carried out by Ali, a 52-year-old member of the group.
It claimed that Ali`s daughter Ummu Usman had also carried out a suicide attack in Pakistan last year.
The IMU, which has links with al-Qaeda, is based in North Waziristan tribal region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency