Independent candidate among three killed in Pak
Islamabad: An independent candidate in Pakistan`s upcoming polls and two companions were gunned down in the restive Balochistan province on Tuesday, the latest in a string of attacks targeting politicians and campaign offices.
Unidentified gunmen killed Abdul Fatah Magsi, a candidate in polls to the provincial Assembly, and his colleagues in Jhal Magsi this morning.
Magsi was attacked while he was on a door-to-door campaign. Three others were injured in the attack.
They were taken to a nearby hospital, police said.
The Election Commission deferred polls in the area and said the schedule for the election in Jhal Magsi would be announced later.
Over the past few days, the banned Pakistani Taliban and other groups have targeted campaign offices and election meetings across the country.
Over 40 people were killed and dozens injured in 26 bomb blasts in Balochistan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh prvinces since campaigning began for the May 11 general election.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan has said it will target the Pakistan People`s Party, Awami National Party and Muttahida Qaumi Movement for their "secular policies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa