India backs Awami League to transform Bangladesh into puppet state: BNP
Dhaka: The main opposition BNP on Saturday alleged that India is trying to transform Bangladesh into a "puppet state" by patronising the Awami League ahead of upcoming General Elections.
"The ghost of Indian Sindabad (an evil character of The Arabian Nights) has got the better of this government," said Mirza Abbas, a senior member of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) standing committee, said.
During a discussion at the National Press Club here, he alleged: "India wants to bring back the Awami League to power. For this reason, the government is going to hold an unilateral election so that Bangladesh can be transformed into India`s puppet state."
Yesterday, Abbas criticised Indian High Commissioner Pankaj Saran for his purported activities, including a meeting with the Election Commission.
"Whatever efforts Pankaj Saran may make, they cannot retain Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in power...I would like to tell him, you are only seeing your own interest and not the interest of the people of this country," Abbas, a former minister, said.
Saran last week said India was holding consultations with the US and other countries on the political impasse in Bangladesh. His comments were the first public remarks on the much talked about consultations.
The BNP and the Awami League are at loggerheads over the conduct of the polls to be held by January 2014.
The Awami League has formed a multi-party interim set-up led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to oversee the elections despite opposition from the BNP, which wants a neutral caretaker government. The BNP has also claimed that polls will not be credible if they are held under Hasina`s leadership.
Recent nationwide shutdowns enforced by the BNP and its fundamentalist ally Jamaat-e-Islami triggered widespread violence that killed 30 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!