India backs Awami League to transform Bangladesh into puppet state: BNP
Dhaka: The main opposition BNP on Saturday alleged that India is trying to transform Bangladesh into a "puppet state" by patronising the Awami League ahead of upcoming General Elections.
"The ghost of Indian Sindabad (an evil character of The Arabian Nights) has got the better of this government," said Mirza Abbas, a senior member of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) standing committee, said.
During a discussion at the National Press Club here, he alleged: "India wants to bring back the Awami League to power. For this reason, the government is going to hold an unilateral election so that Bangladesh can be transformed into India`s puppet state."
Yesterday, Abbas criticised Indian High Commissioner Pankaj Saran for his purported activities, including a meeting with the Election Commission.
"Whatever efforts Pankaj Saran may make, they cannot retain Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in power...I would like to tell him, you are only seeing your own interest and not the interest of the people of this country," Abbas, a former minister, said.
Saran last week said India was holding consultations with the US and other countries on the political impasse in Bangladesh. His comments were the first public remarks on the much talked about consultations.
The BNP and the Awami League are at loggerheads over the conduct of the polls to be held by January 2014.
The Awami League has formed a multi-party interim set-up led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to oversee the elections despite opposition from the BNP, which wants a neutral caretaker government. The BNP has also claimed that polls will not be credible if they are held under Hasina`s leadership.
Recent nationwide shutdowns enforced by the BNP and its fundamentalist ally Jamaat-e-Islami triggered widespread violence that killed 30 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!