India decides to adopt liberal visa policy with Bangladesh
Dhaka: India Sunday said it has decided to adopt a liberal visa policy for people of Bangladesh to promote economic engagement, people-to-people contact and tourism between the two neighbouring nations.
"There is no formal agreement between India and Bangladesh on the visa regime. As a step towards showing India`s commitment to joining hands with Dhaka in giving a boost to the economic prosperity of Bangladesh and its people, we have decided to adopt a liberal visa regime," India`s Ambassador to Bangladesh Pankaj Saran said.
He was talking to media after the inauguration of the "India Show" organised by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and Ficci here.
During the Home Secretary level talks in October 2012, both the countries agreed to hold exclusive meeting to work out procedures and modalities at the earliest.
However, India did not wait for joint working group (JWG) to be set up to sort out the issue of liberal visa regime.
During his visit to Dhaka in September last year, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said it would take steps to remove trade and non-tariff barriers between India and Bangladesh.
India at present gives nearly 500,000 visas to Bangladesh nationals every year and with a new visa regime in place, this figure is likely to witness a massive hike, Saran said.
India has already signed a liberal visa regime with its other neighbour, Pakistan-- introducing for the first time group tourist and pilgrim visas, multi-city and multi-entry visa for businessmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?