India donates 10,000 cycles to war displaced in northern Lanka
Colombo: India has donated some 10,000 bicycles in Sri Lanka`s war-torn north under an assistance programme to help in the rehabilitation of those displaced during nearly three-decade long conflict.
The project was conceived with the objective to cater to the transportation needs of persons being resettled and to aid revival of their livelihoods, Indian High Commission said here today.
The total cost of the project is about 67 million Sri Lankan rupees.
Of the 10,000 bicycles, 2,500 have been distributed in Mulaitivu District, 2,500 in Kilinochchi District, 1,750 in Mannar District, 1,750 in Vavuniya District and 1,500 in Jaffna District.
India has also announced the progress in the second phase of the Indian housing project for the construction of 43,000 housing units in the northern and eastern provinces.
Over 8,700 beneficiaries have been identified jointly by India and Sri Lanka.
Under a rigorous selection process worst affected villages in the five districts of the north have been identified.
All persons in these villages, who do not own any other house, are to be given houses.
The Indian housing project for 50,000 houses was announced during the visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to India in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful