‘India hasn`t given solid evidence against Saeed’
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday rejected External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna`s remarks that India has provided
adequate proof linking Hafiz Saeed to the Mumbai attacks,
saying action could be taken against the LeT founder only on
the basis of "solid evidence".
Reacting to comments made by Krishna in Bangalore,
Pakistan`s Foreign Office said India had not given "any solid
and significant evidence" against Saeed.
The Foreign Office said "action can only be taken on the
basis of solid evidence."
"There is nothing concrete and maintainable. From its own
Mumbai trial experience, India knows well that hearsay cannot
substitute for hard evidence," Foreign Office spokesman Abdul
"It is only the latter that can withstand judicial
scrutiny," Basit said.
Earlier in the day, Krishna told the media in Bangalore
that the information provided by Home Minister P Chidambaram
to the Pakistan government contained "every detail of Hafiz
Saeed`s involvement in the planning and execution of the
terrorist attack on Mumbai."
Krishna further said, "No amount of denial would
exonerate them (Pakistan) unless there is a judicial inquiry
into the whole episode whereby responsibilities can be fixed."
The exchange over Saeed came just two days before
President Asif Ali Zardari`s planned visit to India, where he
will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over lunch before
going to the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti at Ajmer.
Saeed is back in the spotlight following the announcement
of a USD 10 million bounty for him under the US Rewards for
The US has included Saeed among the world`s five most
wanted terrorists and also offered a USD two million bounty
for his deputy, Abdul Rahman Makki.
The Pakistan-based LeT was blamed for the terrorist
attacks on India`s financial hub in November 2008 that killed
166 people, including six Americans.
Saeed was detained for about six months after the UN
Security Council imposed sanctions on the Jamaat-ud-Dawah, the
group that he now leads.
Unlike the other terrorists on the US list, Saeed is not
He has mocked the US bounty, saying the money should be
handed over to him as he would himself inform American
authorities about his whereabouts.
Speaking in Parliament yesterday, Prime Minister Yousuf
Raza Gilani said the case of Saeed was an "internal matter".
He further said the US should provide any evidence it has
against Saeed to Pakistan so that the country`s courts could
examine it and take action.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik too said yesterday that
India had not yet provided any "credible evidence" against
He said the way the US had announced a bounty for Saeed
was against international norms and laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok