India-origin man is Nepal`s first billionaire: Forbes
Kathmandu: A Nepali businessman of Indian-origin has made it to the Forbes` billionaire list, becoming the first man from the Himalayan nation to do so.
Binod Chaudhary, 57, is the owner of Cinnovation/Chaudhary Group, popular instant noodle brand Wai Wai, a controlling stake in Nabil Bank and a string of luxury hotels with India`s Taj hotel chain.
He had a 1,342nd position in `The 2013 Billionaires List` compiled by the New York-based Forbes magazine.
Chaudhary`s net worth is USD 1 billion (approximately Rs 88.20 billion), according to Forbes.
"Binod Chaudhary is Nepal`s first billionaire, but built most of his fortune overseas," Forbes said.
Chaudhary is among 210 people who joined the Forbes Billionaires ranks this year. Chaudhary shares his ranking with 84 other individuals who have also been ranked the 1,342nd richest people in the globe.
Chaudhary has taken the accolade as an honour for all of Nepal.
"I am humbled. As a businessman, you don`t get a Nobel. This is my Nobel Prize," Chaudhary was quoted by the Kathmandu Post as saying.
"I see this as a recognition for the 40 years of my hard work," he said.
Chaudhary hails from a business clan with Indian roots.
His grandfather, a textile trader from Rajasthan, migrated to Nepal in the 19th century. He opened a small textile store that used to supply goods to the erstwhile rulers.
Chaudhary`s father opened Nepal`s first department store. The eldest of the three siblings, Chaudhary joined the business at 18, giving up his plan to study accounting in India when his father developed a heart ailment.
Chaudhary takes pride in his success in the noodles business, particularly with `WaiWai`. The brand has now spread wings to 35 countries with an annual production of a billion packets.
`Wai Wai` is now India`s second largest selling noodles brand, after Maggi with 16 per cent market share.
Currently, he has business interests in India, UAE, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Mozambique and the US, mainly in hospitality, real estate, financial services, FMCG and cement business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah