India, Pak discuss women`s rights, empowerment
United Nations: Top officials from India and
Pakistan discussed here the need for improved cooperation on
bilateral and multilateral levels on issues of women`s rights
Neela Gangadharan, Secretary in India`s Ministry of
Women and Child Development, and Pakistan`s Goodwill
Ambassador for Women Empowerment Fiza Batool Gilani met on the
sidelines of the 56th Session of the Commission on the Status
of Women yesterday.
The two sides discussed issues relating to the rights of
women in both countries as well as relevant social sector
reforms needed to improve their conditions, a statement from
the Pakistani mission to the UN said.
Gangadharan spoke about the various efforts made by the
Indian government for the betterment of the socio-economic
conditions of women and children.
She also welcomed the idea of enhanced bilateral and
regional cooperation on women empowerment.
The statement said Gilani highlighted the numerous steps
taken by her government for the political, economic and social
empowerment of women in the past few years.
She underlined the need for better cooperation between
the two sides on issues pertaining to women empowerment, by
enhancing interaction at the bilateral as well as at the level
of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof