‘India reluctant to commit to Manmohan’s Pak trip’
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on Sunday officially invited Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to visit Islamabad. But the two countries have already been trying to finalise dates for the visit of Dr Singh, a report said.
The Indian PM had earlier received an invitation by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani last year, during a Cricket World Cup semi-final match between the two sides in Mohali.
“That invitation is still pending,” a newspaper quoted a Pakistani Foreign Office official as saying.
On the condition of anonymity, the official further said: “We believe that the Indian Prime Minister should reciprocate the gesture by undertaking a visit to Pakistan... We are in touch with each other through diplomatic channels to finalise the dates.”
However, he added that India was reluctant to commit to the visit. Notably, India wants ‘meaningful progress’ on key issues, including the 2008 Mumbai attacks before Dr Singh’s visit to Pakistan.
On the other hand, Pakistan has dismissed the Indian stance, saying it would be a setback to the gradual normalisation between the neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly