India-Sri Lanka joint sea patrolling sought
Colombo: A Sri Lankan minister has called for joint patrolling by the Indian and Sri Lankan Navies to prevent clashes between their fishermen.
Traditional Industries and Small Enterprise Development Minister Douglas Devananda claimed on Thursday that Indians encroaching in Sri Lankan waters off Kachchaitivu Island resulted in clashes and affected the daily livelihood of the island nation`s fishermen.
"Sometimes the Indians damage the fishing nets of Sri Lankan fishermen. This has become a serious issue. I have suggested that the Sri Lankan and Indian Navy conduct joint patrolling near the maritime boundary of both countries to prevent these kinds of incidents from taking place," said the minister.
Indian fishermen accuse the Sri Lankan fishermen and Sri Lankan Navy of attacking them when they cross the boundary line to catch fish near Kachchaitivu Island, which was ceded to Sri Lanka many years ago.
Devananda said that the only way one can find out who is attacking who is by conducting joint patrolling at the international maritime boundary line.
He also called on Tamil Nadu politicians to look at the fishermen’s issue for a solution instead of levelling allegations of human rights violations against Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH