India stays committed to help rebuild Afghanistan
New York: With the onset of the drawdown of foreign security forces in Afghanistan, India has said it remains committed to partnering Kabul in building a peaceful, stable, democratic and pluralistic nation.
"India`s assistance programme is spread across Afghanistan and spans almost the entire gamut of economic and social development activities," India`s Permanent Representative to the UN, Hardeep Puri, said in the Security Council on Thursday.
India, he said, was undertaking reconstruction and development activities in Afghanistan, with its total bilateral assistance commitment reaching about USD 2 billion.
"Indian companies have evinced interest in exploitation of Afghanistan`s iron ore reserves and India is also participating in the TAPI (Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India) gas pipeline project." Puri said.
Noting these projects would call for large investments, he expressed India`s resolve to cooperate with Afghanistan on plans involving regional integration for the mutual benefit of all stakeholders.
SAARC, of which Afghanistan is a full member, is an important vehicle for regional economic cooperation within the South Asian region, Puri said.
"India`s rapidly growing economy and its large market make it a natural destination for Afghan exports. Similarly, India can be a cost effective and efficient source of Afghan imports," he said.
Expressing India`s full support to "an Afghan-led inclusive and transparent process of reconciliation”, Puri said as the security transition moves forward, Afghanistan needs long-term commitment and support of the international community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks