India to provide logistic support for Nepal polls, says Deuba
Kathmandu: India has assured Nepal of logistic support for the Constituent Assembly elections in November, former Premier and senior Nepali Congress leader Sher Bahadur Deuba on Friday said.
Deuba returned today from his six-day visit to India and described it as "very much successful".
Deuba, who met top Indian leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and opposition leaders, told reporters at Tribhuvan International Airport upon his arrival that, "India wants to see a stable, democratic and prosperous Nepal and has offered to provide all kinds of assistance and support to us."
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has assured to provide logistic support for the Constituent Assembly elections scheduled to take place on November 19 and I found government of India ready to provide all kinds of assistance for consolidating democracy and attaining political stability through the elections," he said.
"During my meeting with Indian leaders they expressed hope that Constituent Assembly polls would be conducted on time and Nepalese people will get a constitution and the country will attain political stability soon," Deuba said.
India has offered to increase investment in Nepal and provide duty-free access for Nepalese products to Indian markets that would help the country recover from a huge trade deficit it is currently facing, he said.
During his talks with Sonia Gandhi, they discussed strengthening relations between Nepali Congress and the Congress Party, he said, adding, Indian leaders conveyed best wishes for timely conduct of elections in Nepal and institutionalising the federal republic system.
On India`s preference regarding the model of federalism in Nepal, he said, India would support whatever system Nepali people adopt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter