India to support Lanka at UNHRC: Lankan minister
Colombo: Sri Lanka has received India`s full
backing against the US sponsored motion on alleged human
rights abuses by its Army during the war against LTTE, the
country`s special human rights envoy Mahinda Samarasinghe has
"We have the full backing from India. They have publicly
expressed this assurance," Samarasinghe, who is leading the
Lankan delegation at the UN Human Rights Council sessions in
Geneva, said over telephone.
"We are 100 per cent confident of Indian support," he
said, adding alongside India, China, Russia and Cuba were to
support Sri Lanka against the US move in the session which got
Samarasinghe said in his address made at the sessions
last night he had outlined the progress made in implementing
its own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC)
LLRC is the local panel which looked back at the decades
old separatist campaign waged by the LTTE.
The US resolution was to urge Sri Lanka to implement LLRC
recommendations in order to establish true reconciliation with
"We have detailed the progress we have made. It is now
upto those who wanted to move the resolution to rethink if
they need to still move it," Samarasinghe said.
He said Sri Lanka has time until the third week of March
to win the support of the 47 member nations of the UNHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand