India, US need to help Pak in monitoring LeT activities: Taseer
Islamabad: Countries like India and the US
will have to cooperate with Pakistan in keeping an eye on
activities of LeT which carried out the Mumbai terror attacks,
Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer said on Wednesday.
The Mumbai attacks of November 2008 had established that
LeT had worked with elements in other countries, including the
US and India, to carry out the terror strikes, Taseer said
during a meeting with members of the international media.
"The Indian government has arrested some Indians for
the attacks and the Americans have picked up some people," he
said in response to a question.
He said Pakistani authorities are keeping an eye on
the LeT but other countries will also have to be involved in
In response to another question, Taseer, a close aide
of President Asif Ali Zardari, said the federal government had
taken action against LeT founder Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, who
currently heads the Jamaat-ud-Dawah. He did not give details.
An anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi is currently
conducting the trial of seven men, including LeT`s operations
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, for planning and
facilitating the Mumbai attacks.
The UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for
the LeT in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.
Saeed was put under house arrest but was released after
about six months on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
After lying low for over a year, Saeed recently
re-emerged in public and addressed several meetings and
rallies organised by the JuD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!