India, US need to help Pak in monitoring LeT activities: Taseer
Islamabad: Countries like India and the US
will have to cooperate with Pakistan in keeping an eye on
activities of LeT which carried out the Mumbai terror attacks,
Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer said on Wednesday.
The Mumbai attacks of November 2008 had established that
LeT had worked with elements in other countries, including the
US and India, to carry out the terror strikes, Taseer said
during a meeting with members of the international media.
"The Indian government has arrested some Indians for
the attacks and the Americans have picked up some people," he
said in response to a question.
He said Pakistani authorities are keeping an eye on
the LeT but other countries will also have to be involved in
In response to another question, Taseer, a close aide
of President Asif Ali Zardari, said the federal government had
taken action against LeT founder Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, who
currently heads the Jamaat-ud-Dawah. He did not give details.
An anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi is currently
conducting the trial of seven men, including LeT`s operations
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, for planning and
facilitating the Mumbai attacks.
The UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for
the LeT in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.
Saeed was put under house arrest but was released after
about six months on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
After lying low for over a year, Saeed recently
re-emerged in public and addressed several meetings and
rallies organised by the JuD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference