India, US need to help Pak in monitoring LeT activities: Taseer
Islamabad: Countries like India and the US
will have to cooperate with Pakistan in keeping an eye on
activities of LeT which carried out the Mumbai terror attacks,
Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer said on Wednesday.
The Mumbai attacks of November 2008 had established that
LeT had worked with elements in other countries, including the
US and India, to carry out the terror strikes, Taseer said
during a meeting with members of the international media.
"The Indian government has arrested some Indians for
the attacks and the Americans have picked up some people," he
said in response to a question.
He said Pakistani authorities are keeping an eye on
the LeT but other countries will also have to be involved in
In response to another question, Taseer, a close aide
of President Asif Ali Zardari, said the federal government had
taken action against LeT founder Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, who
currently heads the Jamaat-ud-Dawah. He did not give details.
An anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi is currently
conducting the trial of seven men, including LeT`s operations
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, for planning and
facilitating the Mumbai attacks.
The UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for
the LeT in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.
Saeed was put under house arrest but was released after
about six months on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
After lying low for over a year, Saeed recently
re-emerged in public and addressed several meetings and
rallies organised by the JuD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'