India wishes for a peaceful and democratic Nepal: Koirala
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala on Friday said India has pledged full support for the upcoming Constituent Assembly elections with its leaders wishing for lasting peace and stability in Nepal.
"My India visit was very much successful and fruitful," said Koirala, who returned today from a 5 day-visit India after holding holding talks with India`s top leadership.
"I received good wishes from Indian leaders for the lasting peace, stability, democracy and development in Nepal through conduction elections", said Koirala, who met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, External Affairs Minister Salman Khursid, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and other senior leaders during the visit.
"The Indian leaders were wishing to see a peaceful, prosperous, democratic and stable Nepal and they assured to provide whatever support and cooperation we require for the same," Koirala said.
India has recently provided hundreds of vehicles to the Election Commission and the security agencies of Nepal, ahead of its historic election scheduled to be held on November 19.
"India has already provided logistic support for the upcoming Constituent Assembly elections in Nepal and they have also assured to check criminal activities in the border areas during the election period," said Koirala.
He said that he has asked Chief Ministers of the neighbouring Indian States of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, Nitish Kumar and Akhilesh Yadav respectively, to extend help in controlling criminal activities in the border areas during the elections.
The three leaders also discussed ways to control flood and address inundation problems in the border areas as the CMs pledged their cooperation on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir