Indian Army chief to visit Sri Lanka this week
Colombo: Indian Army chief General Bikram Singh will visit Sri Lanka this week to step up bilateral defence cooperation and meet the country`s top leadership, including President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Singh will be on a 3-day visit from December 18 during which he will visit the north, north central and central provinces, the Sri Lankan army said today.
He would visit security forces headquarters in the northern town of Vavuniya and would also visit the ex-LTTE combatants training centre in the same district.
He would call on the Sri Lankan President and the top defence official Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.
"This visit will mark another important milestone in the warm and cordial relations between the Indian and Sri Lanka armies", a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'