Indian envoy meets Prachanda ahead of New Delhi visit
Kathmandu: Indian Ambassador Rakesh Sood
Sunday met Maoists supremo Prachanda as the former rebels have
blamed New Delhi for Nepal`s deepening political crisis.
During the meeting at Prachanda`s residence they
discussed bilateral relations and the current political
situation, according to sources at the Indian Embassy.
Addressing a rally in Kathmandu last week, Prachanda
accused India of "naked interference" in the internal affairs
of Nepal and expressed desire to hold "direct talk" with New
Delhi, ignoring the "puppet government" here to end the
deadlock in the country.
Prachanda also demanded the scrapping of the landmark
1950 Indo-Nepal Peace and Friendship Treaty along with all
other "unequal" pacts with India. The former rebel leader also
called for the withdrawal of Indian troops from Kalapani, a
disputed part of Nepal’s territory on the borders of India,
Nepal and China.
The envoy left for Delhi shortly after the meeting
to have consultation. No further details were available on the
one-hour meeting between Ambassador Sood and Prachanda.
The political crisis in Nepal deepened with the
Maoists determined to impose an indefinite strike from Jan 24.
The parties are deadlocked over the Maoists` demand to
rectify the decision of President Ram Baran Yadav, who
reinstated General Rukmangad Katawal, the then Army Chief
dismissed by Prime Minister Prachanda in May.
Katawal has been blamed by Prachanda for resisting the
integration of the former Maoists guerrillas into the army as
dictated by the Comprehensive Peace Agreement of November
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed