Indian flag desecrated by Nepal Maoists; protests back home
Araria/Kathmandu: Nepal`s Maoists on Tuesday put
up posters showing its leaders desecrating the tricolour as
part of their anti-India campaign, sparking protests in nearby
villages in Bihar.
As India was celebrating its 60th Republic Day, reports
in Nepal said Maoists put up posters of their leaders wearing
shoes depicting Indian flags in bordering Morang district.
"We have reports that our party president Prachanda`s
effigy has been burnt in Bihar with the involvement of local
political activists and the SSB personnel...," Nepal Maoists`
spokesperson Dinanath Sharma was quoted as saying.
There is a strong resentment against the Nepal Maoists
in India in the wake of their continued anti-campaign in
the name of preserving "national independence".
Meanwhile, people in large numbers jammed the customs
checkpost at Jogbani in Bihar`s Araria district for several
hours in protest.
"Thousands of people gathered at the check-post, shouted
slogans against Maoists of Nepal and blocked it for several
hours, besides burning effigies of Maoists leaders," SP
Umashankar Sudhakar said.
Several shops and establishments in Jogbani remained
closed as a mark of protest, he said, adding security patrol
was intensified in the area.
The protesters demanded that Indian authorities should
take up the matter with the Nepal government, he said.
Sudhakar said the blockade was lifted after the
authorities assured them action in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics