Indian judicial panel asks Pak to allow them to visit Sarabjit
Islamabad: Indian members of a bilateral judicial committee on prisoners have asked Pakistan to arrange a visit to the Lahore hospital where Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh is being treated after a brutal assault.
Retired judges AS Gill and MA Khan arrived in Pakistan for a scheduled visit on Friday, hours after Sarabjit was attacked by other prisoners in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
They have asked Pakistan`s Foreign Office to allow them to visit Sarabjit in Jinnah Hospital, official sources said.
The Indian judges flew into Karachi, where they met 482 Indian fishermen and six civilian prisoners being held in different jails in the southern port city.
Today, they met eight Indian civilian prisoners being held at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
The judges travelled from Rawalpindi to Lahore this evening.
They are scheduled to meet some 30 Indian prisoners at Kot Lakhpat Jail at 11 am tomorrow.
The sources said the judges had had "good interactions" with the Indian prisoners in Karachi and Rawalpindi.
In Karachi, all the fishermen and civilian prisoners were presented before the judges, who questioned them about their problems and conditions within the jails.
In Rawalpindi too, the judges interacted with the prisoners.
The judges and officials accompanying them allowed the prisoners to call their relatives in India on mobile phones.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon.
The judicial committee has taken several steps in recent years to improve conditions for Indian and Pakistan prisoners.
Scores of fishermen were also freed after their issue was taken up by the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla