Indian judicial panel asks Pak to allow them to visit Sarabjit
Islamabad: Indian members of a bilateral judicial committee on prisoners have asked Pakistan to arrange a visit to the Lahore hospital where Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh is being treated after a brutal assault.
Retired judges AS Gill and MA Khan arrived in Pakistan for a scheduled visit on Friday, hours after Sarabjit was attacked by other prisoners in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
They have asked Pakistan`s Foreign Office to allow them to visit Sarabjit in Jinnah Hospital, official sources said.
The Indian judges flew into Karachi, where they met 482 Indian fishermen and six civilian prisoners being held in different jails in the southern port city.
Today, they met eight Indian civilian prisoners being held at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
The judges travelled from Rawalpindi to Lahore this evening.
They are scheduled to meet some 30 Indian prisoners at Kot Lakhpat Jail at 11 am tomorrow.
The sources said the judges had had "good interactions" with the Indian prisoners in Karachi and Rawalpindi.
In Karachi, all the fishermen and civilian prisoners were presented before the judges, who questioned them about their problems and conditions within the jails.
In Rawalpindi too, the judges interacted with the prisoners.
The judges and officials accompanying them allowed the prisoners to call their relatives in India on mobile phones.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon.
The judicial committee has taken several steps in recent years to improve conditions for Indian and Pakistan prisoners.
Scores of fishermen were also freed after their issue was taken up by the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly