Indian judicial panel asks Pak to allow them to visit Sarabjit
Islamabad: Indian members of a bilateral judicial committee on prisoners have asked Pakistan to arrange a visit to the Lahore hospital where Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh is being treated after a brutal assault.
Retired judges AS Gill and MA Khan arrived in Pakistan for a scheduled visit on Friday, hours after Sarabjit was attacked by other prisoners in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
They have asked Pakistan`s Foreign Office to allow them to visit Sarabjit in Jinnah Hospital, official sources said.
The Indian judges flew into Karachi, where they met 482 Indian fishermen and six civilian prisoners being held in different jails in the southern port city.
Today, they met eight Indian civilian prisoners being held at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
The judges travelled from Rawalpindi to Lahore this evening.
They are scheduled to meet some 30 Indian prisoners at Kot Lakhpat Jail at 11 am tomorrow.
The sources said the judges had had "good interactions" with the Indian prisoners in Karachi and Rawalpindi.
In Karachi, all the fishermen and civilian prisoners were presented before the judges, who questioned them about their problems and conditions within the jails.
In Rawalpindi too, the judges interacted with the prisoners.
The judges and officials accompanying them allowed the prisoners to call their relatives in India on mobile phones.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday afternoon.
The judicial committee has taken several steps in recent years to improve conditions for Indian and Pakistan prisoners.
Scores of fishermen were also freed after their issue was taken up by the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown