Indian official needed for autopsy on dead Jammu prisoner in Pak
Lahore: An autopsy to establish the cause of death of Indian national Chambail Singh, allegedly assaulted by prison staff, would be carried out only when an Indian official was present to witness the procedure, Pakistani officials said on Friday.
Singh, who was being held at Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail, died a month ago and his body has been kept at the mortuary of Jinnah Hospital since then.
"We have not yet received any request from the concerned authorities to carry out the autopsy of Chambail Singh," Mudassar Hussain of the Forensic Department of Jinnah Hospital told a news agency.
Kot Lakhpat Jail`s Additional Superintendent Ishtiaq Ahmed told the agency that the autopsy could be done only when an official of the Indian High Commission is present.
"The Home Department has written to the Indian High Commission in this regard. According to the rules, the presence of an official of the embassy is mandatory during the autopsy of foreigners," he said.
The delay in performing an autopsy on Singh`s body was due to the Indian authorities, Ahmed contended.
Singh was serving a five-year sentence at Kot Lakhpat Jail after being convicted of espionage.
Officials said Singh had felt a pain in his chest while having breakfast on January 15 and was taken to hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.
However, Tehseen Khan, a Christian lawyer who recently completed a 42-month sentence for a fraud case, claimed Singh had died after he was allegedly beaten by jail staff.
Authorities launched a judicial inquiry into the death and Magistrate Afzal Abbas recorded the statements of 14 Indian prisoners who were in the same barrack as Singh.
However, the magistrate is awaiting the findings of the autopsy to finalise his report.
There are a total of 33 Indian prisoners in Kot Lakhpat Jail and officials have said they are safe.
The records of Kot Lakhpat Jail state that Singh was arrested near the border at Sialkot in 2010.
He was brought to the jail last June and was due to complete his sentence in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof