Indian officials visit Lanka prison after riot
Colombo: Indian officials have visited Sri Lanka`s main Welikada prison to inquire about the welfare of Indian prisoners after Friday`s riot that left 27 inmates dead and over 40 injured.
"Our consular officials yesterday visited the Indian prisoners," Indian High Commission spokesperson said.
He said there were 33 sentenced Indians and 5 more prisoners whose trials are pending at Welikada at the time of the riot.
On Friday, a major riot in the prison killed 27 inmates while 42 more including prison officials and troops were injured.
Sri Lanka authorities on Saturday confirmed that all Indian and foreign prisoners were not affected by the riot.
The inmates angered by a search for drugs and contraband clashed with the police Special Task Force.
The opposition has called for an investigation into the riot claiming that officials had erred in allowing the entry of armed troops into the prison.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan