Indian officials visit riot-hit Lankan prison
Colombo: Indian officials have visited Sri Lanka`s main Welikada prison to inquire about the welfare of Indian prisoners after last week`s riot that left 27 inmates dead and over 40 injured.
"Our consular officials on Monday visited the Indian prisoners," an Indian High Commission spokesperson said on Tuesday.
He said that 33 convicted and five under trial Indian prisoners were present at Welikada jail at the time of violence on Friday.
In the riot, 27 inmates were killed and 42 others, including prison officials and troops, were injured.
Sri Lanka authorities on Saturday confirmed that all Indian and foreign prisoners were not affected by the riot.
The inmates angered by a search for drugs and contraband clashed with Special Task Force resulting in violence.
The opposition has called for an investigation into the riot claiming that officials had erred in allowing the entry of armed troops into the prison.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list