Indian officials visit riot-hit Lankan prison
Colombo: Indian officials have visited Sri Lanka`s main Welikada prison to inquire about the welfare of Indian prisoners after last week`s riot that left 27 inmates dead and over 40 injured.
"Our consular officials on Monday visited the Indian prisoners," an Indian High Commission spokesperson said on Tuesday.
He said that 33 convicted and five under trial Indian prisoners were present at Welikada jail at the time of violence on Friday.
In the riot, 27 inmates were killed and 42 others, including prison officials and troops, were injured.
Sri Lanka authorities on Saturday confirmed that all Indian and foreign prisoners were not affected by the riot.
The inmates angered by a search for drugs and contraband clashed with Special Task Force resulting in violence.
The opposition has called for an investigation into the riot claiming that officials had erred in allowing the entry of armed troops into the prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof