Indian PM sought MFN status badly: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has reportedly told the federal cabinet that his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh badly wanted Islamabad to accord Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India.
A report in The News claimed that Gilani on Wednesday told the cabinet that Dr Singh always emphasised on ending trade barriers between India and Pakistan during his meeting with the Indian Premier on the sidelines of international conferences in foreign countries.
“Gilani made this disclosure in the cabinet meeting on Wednesday when some ministers cautioned him about the adverse impact of according the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India on Pakistan’s economy,” a participant was quoted as saying by The News.
He said that Gilani thought according the MFN status to India would be significantly beneficial to Pakistan.
Trade with India would hugely reduce the cost of transportation of goods, Gilani said.
Pakistan on Wednesday granted MFN status to India, reciprocating a 15-year-old gesture.
However, on Thursday, the Pakistan government reportedly withdrew claims that it plans to accord the MFN status to India from its official website.
In the meantime, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that Pakistan`s Parliament should reverse the decision to grant Most Favoured Nation status to India if it considers it unfavourable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog