Indian PM sought MFN status badly: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has reportedly told the federal cabinet that his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh badly wanted Islamabad to accord Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India.
A report in The News claimed that Gilani on Wednesday told the cabinet that Dr Singh always emphasised on ending trade barriers between India and Pakistan during his meeting with the Indian Premier on the sidelines of international conferences in foreign countries.
“Gilani made this disclosure in the cabinet meeting on Wednesday when some ministers cautioned him about the adverse impact of according the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India on Pakistan’s economy,” a participant was quoted as saying by The News.
He said that Gilani thought according the MFN status to India would be significantly beneficial to Pakistan.
Trade with India would hugely reduce the cost of transportation of goods, Gilani said.
Pakistan on Wednesday granted MFN status to India, reciprocating a 15-year-old gesture.
However, on Thursday, the Pakistan government reportedly withdrew claims that it plans to accord the MFN status to India from its official website.
In the meantime, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that Pakistan`s Parliament should reverse the decision to grant Most Favoured Nation status to India if it considers it unfavourable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why