Indian PM sought MFN status badly: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has reportedly told the federal cabinet that his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh badly wanted Islamabad to accord Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India.
A report in The News claimed that Gilani on Wednesday told the cabinet that Dr Singh always emphasised on ending trade barriers between India and Pakistan during his meeting with the Indian Premier on the sidelines of international conferences in foreign countries.
“Gilani made this disclosure in the cabinet meeting on Wednesday when some ministers cautioned him about the adverse impact of according the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India on Pakistan’s economy,” a participant was quoted as saying by The News.
He said that Gilani thought according the MFN status to India would be significantly beneficial to Pakistan.
Trade with India would hugely reduce the cost of transportation of goods, Gilani said.
Pakistan on Wednesday granted MFN status to India, reciprocating a 15-year-old gesture.
However, on Thursday, the Pakistan government reportedly withdrew claims that it plans to accord the MFN status to India from its official website.
In the meantime, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that Pakistan`s Parliament should reverse the decision to grant Most Favoured Nation status to India if it considers it unfavourable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune