Indian PM sought MFN status badly: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has reportedly told the federal cabinet that his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh badly wanted Islamabad to accord Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India.
A report in The News claimed that Gilani on Wednesday told the cabinet that Dr Singh always emphasised on ending trade barriers between India and Pakistan during his meeting with the Indian Premier on the sidelines of international conferences in foreign countries.
“Gilani made this disclosure in the cabinet meeting on Wednesday when some ministers cautioned him about the adverse impact of according the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India on Pakistan’s economy,” a participant was quoted as saying by The News.
He said that Gilani thought according the MFN status to India would be significantly beneficial to Pakistan.
Trade with India would hugely reduce the cost of transportation of goods, Gilani said.
Pakistan on Wednesday granted MFN status to India, reciprocating a 15-year-old gesture.
However, on Thursday, the Pakistan government reportedly withdrew claims that it plans to accord the MFN status to India from its official website.
In the meantime, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that Pakistan`s Parliament should reverse the decision to grant Most Favoured Nation status to India if it considers it unfavourable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof