Indian priests prefer to return rather than being insulted
Kathmandu: After the attacks on two Indian
priests by Maoists, the chief priest of Pashupatinath temple
on Saturday said he and his four colleagues were ready to return to
India rather than face "humiliation".
"The newly appointed Indian priests are not refugees
taking shelter at the temple, we have brought them from
Karnataka, after fulfilling all the criteria and following due
process as per the Act and following centuries old tradition",
chief priest Mahabaleshwor Bairy said.
They were willing to return back to India instead of
staying at the temple with "humiliation", the chief priest
from Karnataka`s Udipi district said.
His remarks came a day after the priests Girish Bhatta
and Raghavendra Bhatta, both 32 and hailing from Hassan
district of Karnataka, were severely thrashed by some 40-50
Maoists, who entered the shrine posing as devotees. The
priests` clothes were torn and their sacred thread cut by the
former rebels, who were protesting their recent appointment.
Nepal`s Minister for Culture Minendra Rijal today said
that the chief priest was "very sad" after the Maoists attack.
The fifth century temple has a tradition of appointing
Indian priests since the 12th century. But the Maoists are
demanding that local priests be appointed to the temple, they
have also accused them of siphoning off temple funds.
"The temple`s accounts were also made transparent and they
(the priests) are ready to cooperate in the matter", the
Minister told journalists.
"The Indian priests told the government that if Nepalese
did not want Indian priests at the holy shrine, he and the
four other Indian priests appointed there were ready to return
home rather than being insulted," Rijal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly