Indian prisoner in Pakistani jail dead
Islamabad: An Indian national, who was about to complete his five-year imprisonment on charges of espionage, has died in a Pakistani jail, amid reports that he was "mercilessly beaten" by prison staff two days before his death.
Media reports quoted a Pakistani lawyer named Tehseen Khan, who was recently released from Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail, as saying that he had seen prison staff assault Chamel Singh for using water from a tap to wash clothes on January 15 and that the Indian national died two days later at Jinnah Hospital.
However, officials of the Indian High Commission said they had been formally informed by Pakistani authorities that Singh had died in Lahore on January 15.
A note verbale on the matter did not mention the cause of Singh`s death.
Khan further alleged that Singh was "mercilessly beaten" by jail staff, who made "racial remarks against Indians and minorities".
He claimed other Indians in Kot Lakhpat jail, including death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, faced a "grave threat."
The Pakistani authorities had asked the Indian side to inform Chamel Singh`s family of his death, Indian officials said.
The information was conveyed to the External Affairs Ministry in Delhi and authorities were awaiting a response from Singh`s family on whether his body should be sent back to India or the last rites be performed in Pakistan.
The Indian officials said they had no information on Singh being allegedly beaten up in the jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you