Indian tourists stranded in Nepal due to strike
Kathmandu: Scores of Indian tourists have
been stranded at Beni in Myagdi district of northern Nepal due
to an indefinite general strike launched by Maoists in a bid
to topple the country`s government.
More than 100 tourists returning from trekking in
Dhaulagiri and Jomsom areas in northern Nepal have been
stranded in Beni, according to Nepal Tourism Board.
Local authorities are providing them with shelter and
food and efforts are being made to evacuate them, said Sarad
Pradhan, communication officer at NTB.
From Lamjung district around 50 foreign tourists have
been rescued yesterday as they were stranded due to the
strike, he said.
Earlier on Tuesday, over 400 Indian tourists who were
stranded in famous tourist town of Pokhara in western Nepal
were rescued with the help of security forces, he said.
They have been sent back to India in 11 buses with
police escort after they were unable to return, he said.
Tourism is hard hit by the Maoists` indefinite strike
beginning from May 2 to topple the government and to establish
a Maoist led government.
In Kathmandu, all the seven casinos have been shut
down since Tuesday due to the indefinite strike, according to
sources close to the casino.
Indian visitors comprise main clientele of these
casinos being operated in the premises of five star hotels.
As the Indian visitors` arrival significantly declined
due to the strike, these casinos had to shut down their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof